Pineapple
would rather/ would prefer Hi. Which of the following sentences are not correct? I would rather have stayed at home than gone out. I would rather have stayed at home than have gone out. I would rather you stayed at home than went out. I would rather you stayed at home than go out. I would rather you had stayed at home than had gone out. I would rather you had stayed at home than gone out. I would rather you had stayed at home than went out. I would prefer to stay at home rather than go out. I would prefer to stay at home rather than to go out. I would prefer to have stayed at home rather than gone out. I would prefer to have stayed at home rather than have gone out. I would prefer to have stayed at hope rather than to have gone out.
1 Neither is wrong. 2.2 is wrong. 3.3 is wrong. 4 Neither is wrong. 5 None are wrong. Omitting/including optionally repeated auxiliary verbs or prepositions is a matter of style, combining mismatched tenses is a matter of grammar. Personally I would choose the shorter forms here, as the extra words don't seem to add any clariity.