Augustin Goderniaux
Community Tutor
Adding an R sound between an word ending with a vowel and another word beginning with a vowel? Am I the only one that hears sort of an R sound between a word ending with a vowel and another beginning with one when english people talk?? Is it meant to be or am I just hallucinating? Example: Get your pizza "r" out of the fridge.
Aug 30, 2018 12:05 PM
Answers · 11
Augustin Goderniaux, you are definitely NOT hallucinating. You are experiencing the so-called "intrusive R" phenomenon. Intrusive "R" occurs when speakers want to avoid two vowel sounds occurring next to each other and acts as a connector, between a word-final schwa /ə/ spelt with an < a > (e.g. China, Lisa, America) and a new word beginning with a vowel sound. Ex: Lisa –r– Edwards. In some ways it’s a strange phenomenon because native speakers often don’t realise that they’re doing it! Note, that the intrusive "R" is not spelled. Don't confuse it with a "linking R", which is spelled, like in: care about,
August 30, 2018
I think the purpose is to properly distinguish between words. Without emphasising the end of "pizza", "pizza" and "out" could blur at the vowel sound and almost become one word lol. It's easier to add the emphasis than it is to pause and make sure you stop one vowel before starting the next. So, "pizza (pause) out" can almost become "pizza route". :P
August 30, 2018
The intrusive-r is a characteristic of British English. Briefly, British English tends to drop the r at the end of syllables (card->cawd) and add an extra r between some words. North American English tends to pronounce the r in all positions and not to add an extra r between words.
August 30, 2018
I thought that was called "Connected Speech" > Linking 'r' but it turned out that it's actually "Intrusive R"
August 30, 2018
From Wikipedia - linking R and intrusive R Linking R In many non-rhotic accents, words historically ending in /r/ (as evidenced by an ⟨r⟩ in the spelling) may be pronounced with [r] when they are closely followed by another morpheme beginning with a vowel sound. So tuner amp may be pronounced [ˈtjuːnər æmp].[nb 1] This is the case in such accents even though tuner would not otherwise be pronounced with an [r]. Here, "closely" means the following word must be in the same prosodic unit (that is, not separated by a pausa). This phenomenon is known as linking R. Not all non-rhotic varieties feature linking R. A notable non-rhotic accent that does not have linking R is Southern American English.[9] Intrusive R The phenomenon of intrusive R is an overgeneralizing reinterpretation[10][11] of linking R into an r-insertion rule that affects any word that ends in the non-high vowels /ə/, /ɪə/, /ɑː/, or /ɔː/;[12] when such a word is closely followed by another word beginning in a vowel sound, an [r] is inserted between them, even when no final /r/ was historically present.[13] For example, the phrase bacteria in it would be pronounced /bækˈtɪəriərˌɪnɪt/. The epenthetic [r] can be inserted to prevent hiatus, two consecutive vowel sounds.[14]
August 30, 2018
Show more
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!