Taras
What is the difference between "Platz" and "Ort"? Was ist der Unterschied zwischen "Platz" und "Ort"? I don't understand the difference between these two words. I thought they both simply meant "place". Or are they synonyms that are interchangeable? I am playing a video game in German right now and came across the following sentence: "Für solche wie uns gibt es keinen sicher Ort. " Could I say the same sentence using the word "Platz" instead? Please explain the difference between these words, if there is one, and give me some examples.
The concepts of "Platz" and "Ort" overlap quite a bit, but generally spoken, a "Platz" is a smaller spot than an "Ort". The word "Platz" also has the notion of a free space, such as an open space in a city, e.g. a market place or a big square in the city. Some compound words with "Platz" are Sitzplatz (seat), Parkplatz (parking spot). And if you say "ich habe (genug) Platz", you have enough space around you to move freely, without bumping into something or someone. The basic meaning of "Ort" is a village or a small town. In official documents, the "place of residence" is translated as "Wohnort". Then there is "Standort" which is your current position on a map (while "Standplatz" is either a work platform or a spot where you can put your tent or mobile home). Finally, there are idiomatic expressions which you should memorize as such. "Ein sicherer Ort" is one of them. It is not limited to a specific spot, but it denotes a general area in which you can feel safe. Hence, "Ort" is more appropriate then "Platz", which would sound weird in my ears.