Slava K.
What is "To a tunnel of its own" does mean? I found very good songs for learning English. It's called Windmills of your mind. I think songs it's very good way to learn language. Especially if you like it. https://youtu.be/WEhS9Y9HYjU This song is simple to understand. Noel Harrison has clear pronunciation. So everything is good, but one question haunts me. In this sentences: Like a tunnel you can follow To a tunnel of its own Down a hollow to a cavern Where the sun has never shone What "to a tunnel of its own" does mean? I can't catch the meaning of this sentence. I try to translate it word by word, try to use google translate, but nothing. I understand every word in it, but I can't catch the meaning.
Here's a much more cheerful song with a similar idea. The song is by Harry Chapin, but I like the late Pete Seeger's version. (As he so often did, he changed Chapin's words just a little bit). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwF4qVqtifM All my life's a circle, sunrise and sundown; Moon rolls through the nighttime, till daybreak comes around; All my life's a circle; still, I wonder why; Seasons spinning round again, years keep rollin' by Seems like I've been here before, can't remember when; I got this funny feelin' we'll all be together again; No straight lines make up my life, all my roads have bends, No clear-cut beginnings--so far, no dead ends! I've met you a thousand times, I guess you've done the same-- Then we lose each other, it's just like a children's game; But now I find you here again, a thought runs through my mind Our love is like a circle, let's go 'round one more time!
Song lyrics are not always the best way to learn English. The songs are not like in some cultures. The lyrics are often deliberately made to rhyme. Also they do not always have a meaning that matches a dictionary. And every listener will interpret the lyrics differently, depending upon the listeners, personality, or current state of mind, and any past or current good or bad experiences the listener, may have experienced. In their lives. The song is about thoughts going round and around in your mind and other things. "to a tunnel of it's own" = your thoughts take you to another place from where they just took you. Like one minute your mind is thinking about one thing and the next your are thinking about something else. In a different mental mindset or place. The song is about your mind spinning round and round, with lots of references to circular things. The tunnels may or may not also be circular? the song does not specify, because then it would not rhyme.
That's a beautiful song! Thank you for sharing it! This phrase is very poetic, and therefore you cannot literally translate it word-for-word. The meaning is a little abstract- the whole song refers to the way a busy mind is constantly moving and in a non-linear way. "Like a tunnel you can follow" <--- refers to a tunnel you can walk through to get somewhere "To a tunnel of its own" <----- this is the "somewhere" you get to. It is another tunnel that ends up somehow being separate from all the others and it stands stands solo/alone. It refers to a place of mind that is moving, abstract, and where no one but you can go to. I hope this helps! Cheers!
Song lyrics are poetic language. The language is often distorted to make the lines rhyme, to fit the rhythm of the music, or to create pleasing and musical vowel sounds. I know this song. I like this song. I don't expect it to make literal sense. The phrase "a tunnel with a tunnel" is not a standard phrase. It doesn't have any clear, literal meaning. The basic idea of the song is the feeling of being lost or trapped, with no escape, from dizzying, repetitive, obsessive thoughts. "Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel." I'm not at all sure I can put a literal meaning to "a circle in a spiral," either. "Wheels within wheels" is actually a stock phrase or collocation. It means "something very complicated." (It does fit the description of a piece of machinery called a "planetary gear movement.") Railroad tunnels take you through a mountain. Darkness closes in all around you. Then you emerge into the daylight again. He is saying that this is not that kind of tunnel. There's no escape. There's no exit. The tunnel does not lead you out again. It only leads to another tunnel, "a tunnel of its own." The words suggest natural cave tunnels within a limestone cave. They branch and divide to form a three-dimensional maze or labyrinth. When you are in a long, complicated system of tunnels I do not know how you decide that you have come to the end of one tunnel and have entered another one. As with the rest of the song, you cannot escape from the tunnel. The tunnel leads only to another tunnel, which then leads to an internal cavern. A "tunnel 'with' a tunnel" fits the same general pattern of "a circle in a spiral" and "a wheel within in a wheel." You can't get out of the circle or the spiral or the tunnel, you just get further and further in.
The tunnel is not the end. There is another tunnel going off from the first tunnel. I think... LOL