Deli
How do you use -(으)ㄹ까 싶어? Today, i see this sentence: 그러나 평균 자녀 수가 1.5명도 되지 않는 현실에서 과연 얼마나 많은 가족이 이 행사로 혜택을 볼 수 있었을까 싶다. It is the fisrt time i see this grammar: "-(으)ㄹ까 싶다" After i search in google, i know that it has two meaning. (1) I’m afraid/worried that (this/that would happen…). => -(으)ㄹ까 보다/-(으)ㄹ까 하다/-(으)ㄹ 지도 모르다 has the same meaning with -(으)ㄹ까 싶다? And somebody say that this grammar just use in written/ formal speech. So in communication , what grammar i should use? (2) I (am wondering if I would) want to do this or that… ~ㄹ/을까 싶다 is basically a less determined or certain version of ~고 싶다, right? So if i use -(으)ㄹ까 싶다 in communication for situation that i want to do something but just not very sure yet. Is it right? Please explain it for me ! And give me some examples! P/s: In other hand, If you in two situation above, how do you say? I want to know what Korean really use in communication. Thank you so much !
-(으)ㄹ까 싶다 has those two meanings you mentioned, but I think there is a mix-up in the synonymous expressions. 1) I’m afraid/worried that ...= -(을)ㄹ지도 모르다. -ㄹ까 (봐) 걱정되다, -려나 보다. 2) I might (do something) = -(으)ㄹ까 보다, -(으)ㄹ까 (생각)하다. Also, both expressions are not particularly formal. We say them in daily life. The only thing is that they are more mature ways of saying things (i.e. kids don't use them). The most common similar expression is probably -(으)ㄹ 것 같다, which can be used in both meanings above. - 비가 올까 싶다 = 비가 오려나 보다 = 비가 올 것 같다 (1) = Looks like it might rain. - 난 취직할까 싶어 = 난 취직할까 봐/해 = 난 취직할 것 같아 (2) = I think I might get a job. In your example sentence, the main verb is in the past tense, so it' more like "I doubt that ..." or "I'm not entirely sure ..." with no element of a worry. 그러나 평균 자녀 수가 1.5명도 되지 않는 현실에서 과연 얼마나 많은 가족이 이 행사로 혜택을 볼 수 있었을까 싶다. = However, given the reality of the average number of household children dipping below 1.5, I wonder how many families might have benefited from this event, if at all.
Hi Deli I think the -(으)ㄹ까 싶다 might be translated into two meanings. 1. I doubt ~ : I doubt that the new real estate regulations are working. Because after two weeks, we are still seeing the price of the houses keep climbing. 새로운 부동산 정책이 효과가 있을지 싶다. 왜냐면, 2주가 지났음에도 계속 집값은 올라 가고 있다. 2. I am wondering ~ : ex) I am wondering whether or not the new real estate regulations are going to take effective. 새로운 부동산 정책이 효과가 있을지 싶다.( There is no reason and the speaker is just wondering) The speaker was doubting now and he / she thinks that even if there was some event it seemed not work well because ~ So your example's -(으)ㄹ까 싶다 meaning seems to be close to the first example. Thanks ~