What does "graduate school" refer to in the UK? Thank you! Does it refer to attending university after completing secondary school, or to pursuing further education after completing a BA ?
Sep 20, 2018 8:41 AM
Answers · 2
In the UK, university students are undergraduates between starting university and getting their first degree (BA for example). Studies after that point ( MA for example) are postgraduate studies. 'Graduate - or 'grad' - school' is an American term, and I can't recall ever having heard this used in a UK context. However, a quick google search informs me that a handful of UK universities have set up so-called 'graduate schools', presumably to make their function clear to an international candidature who are more familiar with American terminology. So the answer to your question is the latter interpretation : they cater for graduates, in other words, students who have already been awarded their first degree. Many also co-ordinate doctorate studies.
September 20, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!