What do you normally call a specific variety of apple? - for native English speakers What do you normally call a specific variety of apple? The botanical word is “cultivar”, but I’m not sure if it’s a specialised word or it’s what people colloquially call it. With variety I mean for instance Golden Delicious or Jonagold. Thanks for your help!
Sep 23, 2018 12:48 PM
Answers · 7
People with any training or familiarity with horticulture will probably use the word 'cultivar' but otherwise, they will probably say 'variety'.
September 23, 2018
"Cultivar" is technical. You'd come across it in texts and discussions about horticulture, but is not part of the layperson's active vocabulary. We'd say 'variety', or more informally simply, 'type' or 'sort'.
September 23, 2018
In everyday parlance, we would say "kind" or "variety." "We are fortunate to live in an area where supermarkets offer a dozen different kinds of apple." If I wanted to ask if an orchard was selling Macintoshes, i.e. a variety whose name is familiar to everybody, I would say "Are Macintoshes in yet?" If I were using a name that might not be instantly recognized as a variety of apple, I would add the word "variety:" "Do you grow the SweeTango variety?" I know the word "cultivar" but I don't think I've ever spoken it aloud in my life.
September 23, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!