What do you call an ice cream shop in the USA? As Americans tend to use "store" more often than "shop", do they call it ice cream store? I searched the internet and found "ice cream parlor" is also used, is it common in the USA? Thank you so much ^^
Sep 27, 2018 11:55 AM
Answers · 6
Hi, Ice Cream Parlor is the proper name but it is hardly used anymore. Ice Cream shop is used but the US is "brand" sensitive, so we tend to use the proper name. "Want to go to Baskin-Robbins?" "I'm going to Tasty Freeze". Have a great day, Stephen
September 27, 2018
Be careful, "parlour" is a British or Canadian spelling. In American English, it's "parlor".
September 28, 2018
I would use the specific name of the store. But if I were looking for ice cream, I would ask someone "is there an ice cream parlor nearby?"
September 27, 2018
Thank you, Paul. ^^
September 27, 2018
'Ice cream shop' sounds kind of weird. I would use 'parlour' instead.
September 27, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!