Sasha
Professional Teacher
Is this sentence correct? Have you seen the match between France and Scotland? The key says it's incorrect. I can't understand why. Could you explaine me? Thank you!
Is this an old grammar book, Sasha? A few decades ago (before the internet, TV on demand, or the invention of even home video recorders), the only way you could watch a match was live: either at the football ground or broadcast on live TV. If this question dates from that era, the only possibility is the past simple: in those days, you either watched a match live or you missed it entirely. Let's say it's 1980, and France had played Scotland in a match at 2 pm. That night, in the pub, someone would say to his mate, "Did you see the match between France and Scotland?". At that time, it would have gone without saying that he meant "Did you see the match between France and Scotland AT 2PM THIS AFTERNOON?". It has to be a past simple, because the match was in the past and there is now no longer any possibility of seeing it. So, yes, your sentence "Have you seen the match between France and Scotland?" is perfectly correct today. But back in 1980, it would have made no sense at all.
It's correct. The key is wrong.
The answer key may be incorrect. This is a grammar point where British and American usage differ. Similar questions are posted every week on italki. Present Perfect - Used for a completed action in the past at an unknown moment during a period up to the present. - Have you ever visited the Louvre museum in Paris? - No, I have never gone there. Simple Past - Used for a completed action in the past at a known moment (stated or understood). - How was your trip to France last month? Did you visit the Louvre museum? - No. I didn't go there. I didn't have enough time. Simple Past - Did you see the match yesterday? Did you see the match? (American usage - the time of the match is known to both people) Have you seen the match? (British usage - a completed action that occurred recently)
No, unfortunately.
Personally, I suspect "Did you see the match ..." is more likely, but I guerss all matches are recorded for later review now. Did the key give an idea of why?