Do you call a paving truck, a paving lorry in the UK?
Oct 14, 2018 2:14 PM
Answers · 6
No. For a start, it is a complete myth that anything called a 'truck' in the US will automatically be called a lorry in Britain. In fact, a lorry is a fairly specific vehicle : it's large (often articulated) commercial haulage vehicle for the long-distance transportation of goods/freight. If it doesn't do that, it isn't a lorry. In many cases, what an AmE speaker would call a truck would also be called a truck in Britain, or else something different entirely, such as a 'van'. As for the paving truck, I agree with Paul that 'paving lorry' is wrong. ( Unless, of course, it's a haulage vehicle transporting paving material from one part of the country to another). Paving truck or tarmac truck sound OK. Or else, paver or asphalt paver. (Just out of interest, I googled 'paving lorry', and got one hit. One. Out of the vastness of the internet, one story from the 'Arabian Post' website. I think that counts as not existing if you only get one source. Not including a redirection to this very page on italki!)
October 14, 2018
It sounds very awkward and I daresay that no, it is not used as a term. Paving truck sounds fine to me, or paver. Or asphalt paver. Or tarmac truck. But 'paving lorry', no.
October 14, 2018
Google doesn't return any examples of "paving lorry", so I think it's unlikely. But I have no experience of the construction industry. You might find it helpful to study the language in this article, which is from a British construction website: https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2014/02/12/block-paving-truck-knocks-down-doncaster-footbridge/ They use "paving truck" the first time it is mentioned, and "lorry" afterwards.
October 14, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
Arabic, English, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
Learning Language
English, Turkish