Tâm
Can I say? 1 If I and the hearer don't know the sex, can I say both: a. If you meet someone today, that person / this person had better be a doctor. b. If you meet someone today, they had better be a doctor. 2 If I and the hearer don't know the sex, can I say both: a. There was someone who snuck into my house last night. - That person was a thief, weren't they? b. There was someone who snuck into my house last night. - They were a thief, weren't they? Thanks!
All are correct!
1 If the listener and I don't know the gender, can I say both: a. If you meet someone today, they'd better be a doctor. (Informal) b. If you meet someone today, they had better be a doctor. (Formal) 2 If the listener and I don't know the gender, can I say both: a. Someone snuck into my house last night. That person was a thief, weren't they? (Correct) b. Someone snuck into my house last night. They were a thief, weren't they? (Shorter and still correct)
Tâm
English, Vietnamese