Niwantha
Should it be “few days” or “a few days”? Hi friends, My question is based on the following sentence? Should it be “few days” or “a few days”? Is there a rule to decide on when to use "a few" and when to use "few"? 1) In the next few days he will be meeting some political leaders of the county. 2) In the next a few days he will be meeting some political leaders of the county. Thanks in advance! Niwantha
but you can do this "in the next week, a few days maybe ( sentence continues)" "in a few days time, during the next week". I am not sure what this structure is called from an English language teaching perspective, that a linguist or a grammarian would use. I will try to find out to help you. It seems to be connected with the word next, and a time sequence. Next and a few being in a separate clause separated by a comma.
In this case, the answer is 'the next few days' . Examples when you might just use 'few days', without either 'the' or 'a' before it, are sentences like: There are few days in September when it doesn't rain. There are few people who would agree with you.
Yes, you can't say: In the next 'a few' days.... but In the next few days or over the next few days is correct. We can say a few or few in other situations. A few means little but positive, while few means little but usually with a negative meaning: I have few friends - small number in a negative way I have a few friends - small number in a positive way Hope this helps!
You will rarely say "few days" without "a" or "the" before it.
You can say In the next few days Or In a few days But NOT In the next a few days
Niwantha
English, Sinhala