Wu Ting
How would you interpret the second sentence? How would you interpret the second sentence? Does it mean he had set it up before he left Israel? Or does it mean he would set it up before he left Texas? In the previous context, it says that he was an Israeli and living in Israel. His friend--an Israeli too--had committed a murder in US. He wanted to see his friend before his friend was executed. Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Goodman” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. the context: In Texas I went straight from the airport to Mickey’s prison. I’d set it up before I left. They gave me half an hour. When I went in to meet him, he was sitting on a chair. His hands and legs were tied up…
It means that he set up the prison visit before he left Israel. I'd = I had/would/should In this case, "I had set it up before I left." One could argue that it's unclear whether he set it up before he left Israel or before he left the airport but it makes much more sense that he would set it up before leaving Israel. As well, the fact that the prisoner was ready by the time he got there leads us to believe the prison had more than the time it takes to travel from the airport to the prison to arrange the visit.
Thank you, Dcurrit.
I interpret it to mean he set it up before he left Israel. You are right that I'd could mean I had or I would. In this case, it seems obvious to me that he had set up the meeting at the prison before arriving in Texas, which is why he was able to go straight to the prison from the airport.