Beshoy
Questions' collection P 1 1 Difference between (experience in or with or .... ) 2 Could you please tell me how can I start learning German ? or Could you please tell me how I can start learning German ? 3 I'm stuck in or on watching romantic movie 4 It is 4 hours distant It is 4 hours for distance Are they both right ? 5 Difference between (compared to and compared with ) 6 I'd like to practice or practicing both are right ? 7 Cat takes it it is ok but I heard someone says she is cute referring to a cat Is it right 8 Difference between (older & elder) 9 Difference between (they have been doing & they are doing) 10 Difference between (uniforms & costumes)
1) experience in is typically followed by a field (i.e., I have experience in archaeology) while experience with is typically followed by a person, place, or thing (e.g., I have experience with children, I have experience with languages, I have experience with cars (where as you could say "I have experience in mechanics.")). I will say this though: this is excessively nit picky and I don't think anyone would bat an eye if you switched the two around (said "I have experience with archaeology" or "I have experience in cars.") 2.) The second one is grammatically correct, the first one is slightly awkward, as you're retaining the question inversion in a sentence that does not require it. I would definitely go with the second. 3.) "I'm stuck in, watching a romantic movie." This sentence actually has two clauses and is still slightly awkward, as "I'm stuck in" is implying the reason you're "watching a romantic movie." To say "I'm stuck in" in this context I'm thinking you're saying that you have to stay home for some reason (i.e., babysitting or because it's raining or your parents have grounded you) and that is why you're watching a romantic movie. If you're watching it because you're girlfriend is making you and you have no way out of the situation you might say "I'm stuck watching a romantic movie." My instinct is that this latter sentence is what you're looking for. But I'm not sure. 4.) It is 4 hours distant is correct but slightly strange-sounding. Better "It's four hours away." 5.) both compared to and compared with are correct and I can't think of any linguistic difference except to say that compared with is slightly more formal. 6.) I'd like to practice. I'd like to practicing is wrong. 7.) Don't know what you're asking. I think you heard "The cat takes it." probably while smiling. This is very idiomatic. It's hard to explain fully but it could probably be explained as "The cat takes the prize [for being cute]." Though this isn't necessarily the etymology.
1. “Experience in” and “experience with” can be used interchangeably. 2. “How I can” is correct. 3. Not sure; if by “stuck” you mean you really like watching romantic movies, say “I’m stuck on watching romantic movies.” “Stuck on” means you really like something and so you can’t give it up. If your girlfriend is forcing you to watch romantic movies and you hate them, say “I’m stuck watching romantic movies all weekend.” 4. 4 hours distant or, more naturally, 4 hours away. 5. No difference; interchangeable. 6. “I like to practice” or “I like practicing” are good, but “I like to practicing” is incorrect. 7. I don’t know what this means. 8. “Elder” is a noun. Examples: “The tribal elders make all important decisions for the tribe.” “Respect your elders.” Older is an adjective: “My car is older than yours.” “I’m getting older.” 9. “They have been doing” implies that the action has been in progress for a long time, but “they are doing” does not have that implication. Example: “They have been doing High Tea at the hotel for 75 years.” “They are doing High Tea at the hotel today as an experiment to see if it will attract any customers.” 10. Uniforms are for work, like a police uniform or nurses uniform; costumes are for actors in movies/plays and for people on occasions when they pretend to be something they are not (example: “The child wore a Superman costume for Halloween.”
Beshoy
Arabic, Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Modern Standard), English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian
Arabic, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian