Check out our updated Community
Alexis Espinoza
I need a logic explanation for: give up/in, why up and in?
To be honest, some phrasal verbs don't have a "logical" explanation. Native English speakers hear phrasal verbs from an early age and truthfully, a lot of them don't make logical sense. Sorry, but it's the truth! I recommend finding tricks to memorize them for that reason. Try imagining the following to help you remember: For "give up", imagine someone throwing their hands up in the air as a sign of surrender or defeat. Have you ever done this when you felt defeated by something? I know I have! For "give in", you can imagine someone that has built up a strong fortress to keep out something they don't want. Only the fortress wasn't strong enough and their fortress caves in or "gives in". Eg. I gave in to that extra piece of chocolate, or I allowed that extra piece of chocolate into my mouth. I hope these scenarios help you a little. I commend your efforts to learn phrasal verbs. A good understanding of phrasal verbs will help you to sound more fluent in English. Don't give up or give in when it comes to learning them! If you're interested in taking English lessons, we can discuss a variety of phrasal verbs and tricks you can use to remember them! I am a professional English teacher and English is my native language. I do my best to make learning interesting and fun, and I am currently accepting new students.
Hi Alexis, In general, a lot of whatever “logical” meaning there is in English phrasal verbs comes from the preposition. “Up” in phrasal verbs has a general meaning of “do [the verb] to completion”. So, “to give up” is to abandon, or completely stop, something. “I’m going to give up chocolate for Lent.” For the forty day period of Lent, I will not eat any chocolate. Not one piece. Phrasal verbs that use “in” have meanings about entering or moving towards something. “To give in” is “to concede” because the person doing it is moving their opinion or position towards the others’, no longer being “outside” the group of believers. “The toddler wailed so loudly in the store that his mother gave in and bought him the candy.” The mom wanted the noise to stop so much that she changed her position, moving it towards her kid’s belief that he should have candy. Hope that helps find some logic.
Give up = To give up is to quite something. You are quitting doing a certain act and will no longer be continuing that action. For example; - I give up trying to sleep in a house full of ten people (This person is no longer wishing to sleep in a house of ten people) - She is giving up smoking (She no longer wishes to smoke and is quitting the action) To Give in: If one gives into something, they are accepting the temptation of doing something or agreeing to something. For Example: - I will give in to eating sweets, even though i am on a diet! (This person is giving in to temptation and even though they weren't going to, they will now eat sweets) - They give into their kids all the time (This suggests that the parents of the children always do as the children wish and accept what the children do) I hope that answers your question. If you'd like to practice speaking, I'd be happy to help you develop a study plan. Feel free to look at my teaching profile and class offerings and send me a message if you think I can help you. Have a great day :)
Hi, Alex! I think these sites explain the difference much better than I ever could: http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/give-up-and-give-in https://pediaa.com/difference-between-give-up-and-give-in/
Alexis Espinoza