younes
hearing child hi there whats meaning of "hearing child" and gist of this sentence" In this way, there can be no condescension or looking at a distance" SACKS: I think one needs to have some sort of inner vision as well. When I was thinking and writing about people who are deaf, and born deaf, I had a friend—actually a hearing child of deaf parents, extremely fluent in both sign language and speech—who would often come along with me. When I went to the island of the colorblind, which I wrote about in another book, one of my fellow travelers was a physiologist who himself was born totally colorblind. In this way, there can be no condescension or looking at a distance. But now my own cancer is a sort of mediator. Some of my patients at least know that I too am a patient. Although in some sense, we’re all patients.
"Hearing" in this case means "can hear" or "having the ability to hear." It might be useful to look up "person first" vs. "ableist" language to help understand why this word looks the way it does.
Hi Younes, In this context, “hearing child” means that parents who were deaf. had a child who could hear. Their child was not also deaf.
"to come along" means "to go with somebody somewhere"
younes
English, Persian (Farsi)