Which is ok?There are some books on the teacher’s desk/teachers’ desk. Thanks
Oct 21, 2019 7:08 AM
Answers · 3
'teacher's desk'. Even if many teachers use that one desk you use the singular form 'teacher's desk'.
October 21, 2019
Ah ha! Greg is right if all you're doing is referring to what TYPE of desk it is: A student's desk, a teacher's desk, etc. However, if you're describing WHO uses the desk, it then depends on how many teachers are using it. If it's only one, then you use "teacher's" desk. If it's more than one, you use "teachers'" desk. And, don't forget if you are referring to more than one desk, you still use the same form: One teacher with many desks, "teacher's" desks. Many teachers with many desks, "teachers' desks." The rule which works most of the time is that the apostrophe comes after a plural noun. However, if you're referring to a person whose name ends in "s," (like James), it would be James' desk (NOT Jame's). Got it?
October 21, 2019
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English
Learning Language