nuta
Common Superstitions: Do You Believe? I'm not superstitious, I'm just curious what others think
10
1
I'm interested in how superstitions came to be. For example, it's considered bad luck to light three of anything, such as cigarettes, with the same match. It originated during World War I because if a soldier held a lighted match for too long, he would make a target at night for the enemy. Among Christians (and Western civilization) Friday the 13th is considered bad luck. No one knows exactly why 13 is considered bad luck, but Friday was the day that Jesus was crucified.
I have always had black cats so I am not superstitious about them bringing bad luck.
Oh dear - even though I have a science degree I am still REALLLLY superstitious. You would not believe how many superstitions there are in Hinduism - some make sense and some do not. I believe that some numbers are really lucky and some are not. (4 is a VERY unlucky number for me, so is 7, and 3 is good) I believe in praying to Shiva before I start something otherwise it might not work out OK I believe some colours are lucky and some aren't Some dates are good and some aren't I believe in my astrology I practice palmistry (but that's actually turning out to be not as superstitious as people used to think - now medical journals even use lines on the hand to diagnose many medical and psychiatric conditions and the CIA have done huge amounts of research on fingerprints and handprints) I think black cats are really bad luck (to see one crossing in front of me) I believe seeing an eagle is a sign of traveling There are so many others too....
I'm siding with fdmaxey - I think it's irrational to believe in a superstition, but also equally irrational to disbelieve a superstition without understanding why and how it's a superstition in the first place (have I confused anyone?). It's fun to have the occasional superstition: with one friend, when we open a bottle of wine and pour it out, we first drop the cork onto the table, and repeat until the cork stands on its end. Then we declare that "the wine is happy" and start drinking. Totally irrational, but it makes us smile. :)
I dont believe it.Its just silly that someone let something not even approvel with evidence control their mind. some of colleague around me do these often.and try to convince me they are right.and they have been let this things control their life. well what to say ,we cant control them and teach others how to live. if someone really do,we can just respect and being polite. as its just their choice.
nuta
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian