Teacher Beth
Professional Teacher
Is it OK to sometimes think of the particle 고 as the english 'ing' I am looking at the particle 고 more as I only understand it as the word 'and' really still. One definition I have seen says (particle after verb or adjective to add meaning of progression) I assume that is what I am seeing in these examples? !:당신은 돈을 낭비하고 있습니다. 2: 지금은 이탈리어공부를 하고 있습니다 Leading me to the conclusion that sometimes 고 acts very much like our 'ing' on verbs, am I right, am I ok to think of it this way? Can you show me any more examples of 고 particle after verb or adjective to add meaning of progression, esp with adj. Thank you.
Yes, you can take 고 as that when 있다 follows the sentence. However it's not used with an adjective verb. 덥고 있습니다 doesn't make a lot of sense while 더워지고 있습니다 does make perfect sense, 'it's getting hot'. -지다 is a passive-verb form similar to 'get adj.', not exactly the same.
yes, you're right. the word "고" can mean to show "~ing" in English but i think it will not make any sense if you think of "고" as a seperate form. usually when it come to showing "~ing" in Korean, it always comes with "~하고 있다". "~하고 있다" is a typical form of "ing" and means "somebody is in the middle of something." Also we can say "~하고 있습니다" as a formal one of "~하고있다". let me give you some more examples of "~하고 있다" or "~하고 있습니다." 전 지금 당신의 질문에 대답하고 있습니다. i am answering your question now. 대답(noun) + 하다 (it is a one way to make nouns become a verb adding "하다" on nouns) 대답 하고 있다. 대답 하고 있습니다.(more formal and polite) let's see pure verbs. 전 지금 TV 을 보고 있습니다. i am watching TV now. 보다(watch) 보고 있다(be verb + watching) 보고 있습니다. 읽다(read) 읽고 있다 읽고 있습니다. now we've got two types of verbs which is "noun+ 하다" and "pure verbs" and it's easy to make "ing form" of them. in case of "noun +하다"', it goes "noun+하고 있다" as taking out "다" as in "하다" and adding "고 있다" in pure verbs the same rule can be applied. :) hope it could be helpful.
Teacher Beth
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German