Bassam
I would rather _____ a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe.to have, have, or perfer
You can say "I would rather have a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe." or you can say " I prefer a quiet cup of coffee in the office to one in a noisy cafe."
Hello Bassam, Some notes: - 'would rather have' = ' prefer' - You can't use 'to have' . 'to' is used between 2 verbs ,where the second of them is always in infinitive.
As Patricia said: To fill in the space, use HAVE - "I would rather have a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe." Or alternatively - "I prefer a quiet cup of coffee in the office than to sit in a noisy cafe." Many will state that you can say: "I prefer to have a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe.", but the meaning is slightly different. Here, you're preferring a "quiet cup of coffee" to a "noisy cafe", with "in the office" acting as a qualifier for the coffee. Although most people will understand your meaning, it won't be accurate. If you want the "prefer to" form, then a statement with a similar meaning would actually be - "I prefer to have coffee in the office than to sit in a noisy cafe." - here, you're comparing (preferring) apples to apples - an office environment versus a cafe; with the "noisy" cafe implicitly stating a "quiet" office.
u can say both but defferant way like ... 1- i prefar to have a cup of coffe 2 i would like a quait cup of coffe .. im not sure but i think ur senitnce its wrong like this
I would rather HAVE a quiet cup of coffee in the office than sit in a noisy cafe you cannot say rather + to but i don't know if you can say rather + ing form. can someone tell me that?
Bassam
Arabic, English, French, German
English, French, German