DenSam
I couldn't help laughing. Is there any other examples of using the word 'help' + Verb like in this phrase? (not in the direct sense)
Apr 6, 2011 10:18 AM
Hundreds of example. This is a common phrase in English.
April 6, 2011
Is there any other examples >> Are there any other examples (plural) Is there another example (singular) You can help yourself to another helping of ice cream help = to aid or assist helping = a portion / serving of something ie : food
April 6, 2011
"I couldn't help" in this sentence is equivalent to "I couldn't prevent/I couldn't stop/I couldn't avoid". So you may put any other verb next to it just as long as it will sound nice such as I couldn't help looking at you, I couldn't help talking to you, I couldn't help eating, etc. :)
April 6, 2011
Help in this sense means 'I couldn't stop myself/ refrain from or resist' you can use it in the same way with other verbs. 'I couldn't help thinking/feeling'.
April 6, 2011
I know the meaning, thank you!
April 6, 2011
DenSam
English, German, Russian
English, German