Eliza
Professional Teacher
How will you stay happy while practicing social distancing to prevent coronavirus spread?
In addition to spreading sickness, death, fear, and sadness across the globe, coronavirus has impacted many aspects of our daily lives. For me, I was forced to leave my college campus and return home. Schools, bars, and restaurants in my state are now closed. People are encouraged to practice social distancing, which means avoiding in-person contact with others as much as possible. Social distancing can be so difficult, but it's so important to help prevent vulnerable people from getting sick. It can be especially hard for those of us who find our happiness in social interaction and connection with other people. Sometimes it can seem like we have to choose between our happiness and doing all we can to protect vulnerable people. However, with a little bit of creativity, we don't have to choose. Instead of going out to a bar or restaurant with your friends, call them up! See how they're doing! You reaching out to them might be just what they need and might lift their spirits. Maybe even try reaching out to an old friend! It's so difficult to stay in contact with old friends due to busy schedules and a lack of time, but with this crisis, schedules are becoming emptier and time is becoming more abundant. Maybe you've always wanted to learn a new language but never had the time. You could try learning a new language with a friend on italki! In these trying times, it's easy to become depressed and anxious, but I think that if we support each other and keep reaching out to each other, we can stay positive and get through this. What do you think? How will you stay happy while practicing social distancing?
Mar 16, 2020 12:49 AM
Comments · 6
For those of us who are introverts, it might be a bit easier ;) — we can be pretty happy at home with a book and a beverage of our choice.

But iTalki itself is a great part of any solution.
March 16, 2020
Well First of all it's a great help to the doctors and nurses who are risking their health even life in any munite and also a great help to the whole community now and in a further perspective.
I totally agree happiness is very important to all of us, but there are so many ways to be happy, as we all known helping make us happy, in this case staying home keeping distance from our friends is a super help.
And we can do tons of things at home during this special term, besides we can call our friends, we also can learn something like a language, to do more and good reading, to learn how to make a dessert or a dish, you know opportunities favors the prepared minds. To be with your family to chat with them to know them better,because they are family who help us a lot and bear us a lot and you are in the same house, last but not least we all have pros and cons, you can be patient with your friends we also can do the same to our family.
At last since we have this Internet, we can use our creativity to cheer whoever is negative up in our power and some other funny and useful and helpful stuffs, which will make our life colorful and make ourselves happy.
March 16, 2020
Hi Eliza, I work from home so at first it was very difficult for me, but now I have gotten used to the routine and actually enjoy it. I have been doing it for a few years now. However, I am more introverted than extroverted on the Myers-Briggs scale. However, I still enjoy being with people from time to time, and sometimes would crave it intensely. What I began to do when I started to practice other languages is, I would schedule times to speak with several people and I would honestly be tired of speaking to people after a full day. Since you are interested in languages, maybe you can do this. I also started to meet people from all over the world and the communication with them would by nature have to be virtual since face-to-face meetings would be difficult. Maybe you can do something like this to still get interactions with people. It honestly isn't that much different than face to face if you don't see the medium of communication as a barrier.
March 16, 2020
As I have three kids that I have to homeschool now due to closed schools and because my husband and I work from home now, I neither feel lonely nor bored even in this quarantine state. When I need to relax, I listen to music and dance. What also makes me happy is baking cakes, reading books and language learning. Next weekend I’ll take part in an online language challenge to learn a randomly assigned language. I got Ukrainian this time. This language challenge is great fun and the community is very supportive. This way I can study a language and be in touch with other language enthusiasts.

Btw, I posted a discussion today about the International Day of Happiness: <a href="https://www.italki.com/discussion/230426" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.italki.com/discussion/230426</a>;.
March 20, 2020
I dont think Im an introvert but i think ive been practicing some of this social distancing since. Im not a fan reading books and nerdy stuff. I only love sleeping. :P :D

Im still searching for a way to make me happy in this time.

I was planning to study some stuff and read a novel(first!). But at the back of my mind i know i need to practice and review my japanese. Its been a month now since i touched anything japanese. I want to review but im not really in the mood. I feel guilty, torn, and dont know what to do so i end up surfing the net, playing games, and anything not productive. Even doing those doesnt make me happy because i know im not being productive.

Reaching out to friends is not even a choice for me. Im not in the mood to talk to them. Most of them are depressed and they make their listening wall. I know they just need someone to listen to them but i hope i can also give comforting words but i dont know how to comfort people.

Oh, earlier, i drew my character in my game. Just a simple drawing, lines and little colors. I rarely draw so its not that good but it made me a bit happy. I also try to talk to the people in game. Some of them likes japanese stuff and it makes me happy theres something even a bit that we have in common.

I hope to finally make peace with myself and finally go back to reviewing japanese so this quarantine period wont just be a big episode of me procrastinating.

I hope everyone is happy or even better productive. :)
March 20, 2020
Show more