William
Language exchange no part of Italki anymore?
For me, one of the most important aspects about Italki has always been that it enabled us to come into contact with native speakers from our goal language and to learn from and connect to them. This is such an invaluable part of language learning.
However, I have the impression that Italki has been attempting to leave this behind and instead focus on paid services such as community and professional teacher classes. It appears that as of late, every new update seems to be moving the option to look for "language partners" more and more to the background - even making it
impossible to do so from a desktop computer (just through the app). When you do, the search results for language partners seem to skew more towards teachers now; language partners themselves don't appear as much as it used to.
In any case, I feel like this is a massive loss for us language learners who look to connect with other likeminded people.

Has anyone else been having this experience as well? What are your thoughts?
Aug 31, 2020 10:39 AM
Comments · 22
I completely agree and really do not understand why they have removed this feature. It was by far the most important feature on italki for me. They should definitely bring it back.
March 25, 2021
Hello :) I totally agree. I haven't been using Italki for a while and I have just found out about this. This is so sad! At least, I found your post and I now know that on the app this is still feasible, so: thank you!!!
February 4, 2021
I'm disappointed by this too! I'll search somewhere else.
March 25, 2021
I agree. I just joined this app yesterday because it was recommended to me. My plan was to language exchange until I grasped the basics - then pay fir a few lessons to help me progress how I wanted... but I can’t afford to pay streight away otherwise I’ll be learning just a few words at $1 per word!!!
February 4, 2021
I completely agree with your post. I have just returned to iTalki after a few months away, and was so confused looking for the language exchange partner function. It is quite sad to see it gone, I met some wonderful people using it, now I don't see much point to having an account here :|
April 12, 2021
Show more