What is the best English language book you have read in the past year?
For me, it is 'Educated' by Tara Westover. You really should believe the hype! I 100% recommend. While this book is a pretty difficult read if you are not a C1 or C2 level student, it is an incredibly fascinating and empowering story.
The things which make this book difficult for English learners to read are:
- A lot of very detailed, descriptive adjectives that are never used in daily life but add an incredible amount of detail and allows you to paint an accurate picture in your head of the harrowing accounts of her childhood
- Complex grammar structures, such as 3rd conditional and inversion which make the meaning rather difficult to decipher.
- Cultural references which might be difficult to grasp unless you are familiar with life in a tiny town in rural America
Things which make this book worthwhile:
- The number of shocking stories keep coming and coming, page after page
- If you ever meet anyone that has read this book, you'll be discussing it for hours!
- The authors writing style is incredibly engaging and it feels like not a single word has been wasted.