Ser and estar are widely used in Spanish. New learners are likely to struggle when it comes to getting a hang of them. As these two verbs are used in just about every type of sentence, you need to know everything about them to create proper sentences. Otherwise, you would fail to communicate with locals.
However, there is no need to worry as we have created the ultimate guide that covers what does ser and estar mean and when to use ser and estar. By reading our post, you will learn how to use ser and estar. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive in.
Want to know when to use ser vs estar? You need to know what the difference between ser and estar is. Spanish has two verbs for “to be”.
These can be confusing to master. The difference between ser and estar in Spanish is mentioned below.
- Ser is typically used for simple speech such as to talk about something that is in a permanent state. It describes the characteristics of the main topic in the sentence.
- On the other hand, estar is used for discussing how something is. This means that it is used for actions, emotions, locations, and conditions. It is associated with something that has a temporary state.
Learning about when to use ser and estar in Spanish is necessary. It will help you master the many uses of ser and estar in no time.
Ser should be used in the following situations.
- Place of Origin
- Essential Qualities
- Political Affiliation
- Location of Something
- The Date, Day, and Hour
- Relationship With Someone
Estar can be used for the following:
- Progressive Tenses
- Geographic Location
- Idiomatic Expressions
- Condition or State (i.e. emotions)
To master the Spanish ser vs estar, you must know their conjugations. By going through the conjugations, you can learn ser and estar rules. Here are the present tense conjugations of the two.
|He/ She (Él/ Ella)||Es||Está|
|They (Ellos/ Ellas)||Son||Están|
|We (Nosotros/ Nosotras)||Somos||Estamos|
|You All (Vosotros/ Vosotras)||Sois||Estáis|
To get the forms of ser and estar right, you have to understand the logic behind the two. Ser is normally used for expressing things that are permanent, whereas, estar is used when discussing temporary ideas.
When learning a language, examples go a long way in helping you understand the context and the intricacies. This is why it is important that review examples of ser and estar to understand how they are used. The following examples will help you decide whether to use ser or estar just like a native Spanish speaker.
1. When Talking to Someone
- S: Carla es una persona muy contenta.
- E: Carla is a very content person.
When you go through the above example, you will immediately realize that Carla is constantly content. This is why ser is used instead of estar.
- S: Sofia está de buen humor.
- E: Sofia has a good mood.
Our mood changes every day which is why estar is used in the above situation.
2. Discussing the Location of Events
- S: El partido de baloncesto es en el estadio.
- E: The basketball game is at the stadium.
Here we talk about an event that will take place at a specific location.
- S: El estadio está cerca del puerto.
- E: The stadium is near the port.
Although the location of the event seems permanent, estar is used. It is used when referring to a physical location of an event.
3. Talking About Relationships
- S: Gabriela y Carlos son esposos.
- E: Gabriela and Carlos are partners.
As we are describing the relationship between two people, ser will be used.
- S: Gabriela y Carlos están casados.
- E: Gabriela and Carlos are married.
As marital status is a state or condition, estar is used.
4. Chatting About Appearance
- S: Es guapo.
- E: He is handsome.
The appearance of someone is considered permanent. Hence, ser would be used.
- S: Se ve bien est á noche.
- E: He looks good tonight.
The above sentence describes a non-permanent characteristic which is why estar is used.
- S: Nosotros somos de Berlin.
- E: We are from Berlin.
As someone’s place of origin is permanent, ser is the way to go.
- S: Nosotras estamos viajando a Alemania.
- E: We are traveling to Germany.
In case of a current location, estar should be used.
6. Discussing Fruits
- S: La manzana es roja.
- E: The apple is red.
Since red describes the permanent characteristic of the apple, ser would be used.
- S: La manzana está verde.
- E: The apple is green (unripe).
The color green describes the temporary state of the apple’s color. Hence, estar is used.
7. Nationality and Locality
- S: Yo soy Británica.
- E: I am British.
A nationality is a permanent characteristic.
- S: Yo estoy en Británica.
- E: I am in Britain.
Being in a specific country is a condition as you can always move to a different country.
- S: La comida es deliciosa allí.
- E: The food is delicious there.
When we describe food at a specific place, ser is used.
- S: La comida está fría.
- E: The food is cold.
The state of the food is temporary which is why estar is used.
9. Using Temperature Words to Describe People
- S: Ella es fria.
- E: She is cold.
You can use ser to describe the personality of someone.
- S: Ella está fria.
- E: She is cold.
If we describe the body temperature of someone, estar is used.
- S: ¿Quién es la profesora?
- E: Who is the teacher?
A person’s occupation is considered permanent.
- S: ¿Dónde está la profesora?
- E: Where is the teacher?
If referring to the location of a person, estar is used.
What is italki? What are the Benefits of Learning Spanish on italki?
If you are curious about learning Spanish, chances are that you might have heard of italki. It is one of the most popular learning apps out there. You can rely on it to master ser vs estar.
Since learning a foreign language has become more popular than ever before, it is important that you consider using italki. You can either use its website or app to learn Spanish. Since learning a language is most effective when you have a Spanish tutor, you should give it a try.
Want to learn a language at italki?
Here are the best resources for you!
Here are some of the advantages of using italki for Spanish learning.
- Work with a Dedicated Teacher: The main reason why italki is the best option for learning Spanish is that you get a dedicated teacher. This means that you will have someone who will provide guidance and extensive support so that you can master Spanish.
- Fun: Another great benefit of using italki to learn Spanish online is that it is super fun. Who says that learning should be a chore? italki makes learning fun.
- Instant Feedback: As you get a dedicated teacher to help you learn Spanish, you will receive instant feedback. This would ensure that you do not make any mistakes and overcome them early on. Getting feedback every step of the way makes learning more effective.
- Amazing Convenience: Spanish learning enthusiasts from across the globe use italki as it provides amazing convenience. You get to study when you and with the teacher of your choice. Study Spanish on the go with italki.
- Variety of Options: As there are countless Spanish teachers on italki, you get to benefit from a variety of options. Learn to speak Spanish like a Colombian, Spaniard, Mexican, Argentine, Peruvian, Bolivian, or Guatemalan. You get to decide which type of Spanish to master.
- Affordable: A notable benefit of using italki is that it is extremely affordable. If you have worked with a language teacher in the past, you would know just how expensive it can be. With italki, you get to learn Spanish without having to spend a lot of money.
- Amazing Community of Spanish Learners: Connect with the italki community of Spanish learners to motivate yourself to learn the language. When you use italki, you will be able to make friends with Spanish language learning enthusiasts. You can even speak Spanish with them for free and benefit from language exchange.
Now that you have gone over our guide, you will know the differences between the Spanish verbs ser and estar. This would mean that you will have an easier time conversing in Spanish. Make sure to practice speaking the ser and estar examples to get a hang of the verbs.
Book a Spanish learning lesson today with italki to master the language.
Find Your Perfect Teacher
At italki, you can find your Spanish tutor from all qualified and experienced teachers. Now experience the excellent language learning journey!Book a trial lesson